Sunday, August 14, 2011
Solutions to iPhone error 1013 / 1611
My stupid bf was updating his iPhone4 to the latest version and then suddenly his iPhone couldnt start as it kept prompting this error msg.
So I have helped him to search for solutions to solve the error. And this is the solution to the problem:
1. Edit Host File
* Open Finder
* Hold down COMMAND + SHIFT keys and press 'G'
* Enter "/private/etc/" in the field and press "Go"
* Find "hosts" file in the directory
* Drag the file to your desktop
* Open it in text editor
* Remove the line that has gs.apple.com entirely or put a # at the beginning of it to comment it out
* Save the file
* Drag it back to the /private/etc/ folder.
* You'd need to enter your username and password to authenticate the move
* Locate the hosts file in one of the following directories:
Windows 95/98/Me c:\windows\hosts
Windows NT/2000/XP Pro c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Windows XP, Vista, 7 c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
* Right click and click on "Open With..." and then click on "Notepad" on the list.
* Remove the line that has gs.apple.com completely and save the file.
2. Restart computer/iTunes
Did you shut down when you made the change? Rebooting the computer/Restart iTunes after editing the hosts file is a must to be sure the change is saved.
3. Do a quick test
To test if this has worked, put "gs.apple.com" in your browser. You should get redirected to a "www.apple.com/404/" error page. If you don't then something is still wrong with the DNS resolution for gs.apple.com and you probably haven't done it properly.
This will helps to clear your error and your iPhone should be able to start now.
Credits to: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2655717?start=0&tstart=0
Blogged @ 6:46 PM | 0 comments